Custom Peptide Synthesis
Providing solutions for all peptide needs to a global customer base
With over 25 years of expertise in custom peptide synthesis, Pepscan is a leading global producer of high-quality synthetic peptides. We have successfully synthesized 100,000’s of custom peptides for biotech and large pharma companies as well as academic customers. Pepscan consistently meets the highest standards for quality, custom service, and technical expertise. Custom peptide production is carried out under ISO 9001:2015 quality management using a range of state-of-the-art instruments in our 1,500 m² facility. With highly skilled and committed chemists we are fully capable of meeting the ever-increasing peptide needs in biology and drug discovery research. Pepscan has built unrivalled expertise in complex, constrained, multimeric or other special peptides you may need. Our customer support team is happy to assist in selecting the most appropriate peptide specification for your application, including peptide purity, amount and modifications.
With Pepscan’s custom peptide synthesis services you may rely on:
- Fast and personal consultation by experienced peptide chemists
- Rapid order processing and fast turn-around times
- Robust and fully-optimized synthesis and purification procedures, with stringent quality control
- Timely delivery with worldwide shipping
Peptide synthesis at Pepscan
Peptide synthesis at Pepscan is performed using state-of-the-art solid phase technologies. We exclusively apply Fmoc-based chemistries in automated peptide synthesizers and make use of rigorously optimized peptide synthesis protocols.
Whereas optimized synthetic strategies and purification procedures are of major importance for obtaining high quality peptides, the use of Ultra-high Performance Liquid Chromatography (UPLC) equipment combined with stringent analytical conditions is equally important. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified provider of quality custom peptides, Pepscan relies on ‘high-end’ Waters Acquity UPLC systems to verify the purity of its peptides. The value of this highly sensitive analytical equipment is demonstrated in the case example below.
Peptides are supplied either as crude products or as HPLC-purified material (>70%, >85%, 90% or >95% purity), all dependent on the customers wishes, and in quantities of several milligrams up to 100 grams.
Each synthetic peptide is delivered as lyophilized white powder, with a certificate of analysis containing all relevant analytical data (ES-MS mass spectrometric details, reversed-phase UPLC-profiles).
Additional analyses (e.g. amino acid analysis, presence of residual solvents (mainly ACN, TFA) and water, stability determination) are optional. Upon request, peptide deliveries can be aliquoted in separate vials in a broad range of quantities (e.g. 10, 5, 1, 0.25 or 0.10 milligrams). Peptides and peptide libraries can also be delivered in microtiter plates suitable for high-throughput screening.
In the upscaling phase of a pilot custom synthesis project, Pepscan performed a routine UPLC analysis on the reference peptide as supplied to the customer by a different peptide supplier. The Certificate of Analysis (CoA) of the 3rd party supplied reference peptide claimed >95% purity, based on HPLC-data accompanying the CoA (Panel A, analytical conditions not reported).
However, routine analyses at Pepscan using its standard analytical conditions on Waters Acquity UPLC (BEH RP C18-column, 5-55% ACN/H2O gradient (+0.05%TFA) over 2 min at 1 mL/min flow) demonstrated that the 3rd party supplied peptide appeared to be <50% pure (panel B).
Pepscan fully optimized the pilot synthesis for this peptide and purified it further using its own quality management system. Analytical results obtained using Waters Acquity UPLC demonstrated that the peptide indeed could meet the required purity level of >95% (panel C).
Robust and fully-optimized synthesis and purification procedures, in combination with analytical conditions with highly sensitive Waters Acquity UPLC ensure the quality of peptides supplied by Pepscan.
The case example moreover demonstrates that understanding of the analytical conditions is of utmost importance for assessing the true quality of off-the-shelf or custom synthesized peptides that scientists use for their research.Request a quote from Pepscan today
Selected References for Custom Peptide Synthesis
- Bentzen et al: Nat. Biotechnol (2016) – PMID: 27571370. Large-scale detection of antigen-specific T cells using peptide-MHC-I multimers labeled with DNA barcodes.
- Riedhammer et al: J. Allergy Clin. Immunol (2016) – PMID: 27639936. Increased immune reactivity to central nervous system-derived naturally presented peptides in patients with active multiple sclerosis.
- Martin et al: Oncogene (2016) – PMID: 27375016. Androgen deprivation leads to increased carbohydrate metabolism and hexokinase 2-mediated survival in Pten/Tp53-deficient prostate cancer.
- Kruijswijk et al: Oncogene (2016 )- PMID 26279295. Targeted inhibition of metastatic melanoma through interference with Pin1-FOXM1 signaling.
- Lawand et al: J. Immunol (2016) – PMID: 27664280. TAP-Dependent and -Independent Peptide Import into Dendritic Cell Phagosomes.
- Bridle et al: J. Immunol (2016) – PMID: 27183620. Privileged Antigen Presentation in Splenic B Cell Follicles Maximizes T Cell Responses in Prime-Boost Vaccination.
- Tammaro et al: Sci Rep (2016) – PMID: 27928159. Effect of TREM-1 blockade and single nucleotide variants in experimental renal injury and kidney transplantation.
- Port et al: J. Biol. Chem (2016) – PMID: 27613868. The Oncogenic Fusion Proteins SET-Nup214 and Sequestosome-1 (SQSTM1)-Nup214 Form Dynamic Nuclear Bodies and Differentially Affect Nuclear Protein and Poly(A)+ RNA Export.
- Connelley et al: Immunology (2016) – PMID: 27317384. CD8 T-cell responses against the immunodominant Theileria parva peptide Tp249-59 are composed of two distinct populations specific for overlapping 11-mer and 10-mer epitopes.
- Van Dijk et al: PLOSone (2016) – 26848845. Immunomodulatory and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Chicken Cathelicidin-2 Derived Peptides.
- Van der Sluis et al: AIDS (2015) – PMID 25768834. Dendritic cell type-specific HIV-1 activation in effector T cells: implications for latent HIV-1 reservoir establishment